Apricot Academician - a variety of domestic breeding. Obtained by crossing varieties Sputnik and Khabarovsk. It differs in fragrant, sweet fruits and unpretentiousness in leaving. In the State Register of Russia entered in 1996.
Apricot variety description Academic
Academician is a tall, standard grade apricot. The ripening period is medium. The tree grows up to 5 meters in height, if you do not control its growth. Crohn's rounded shape, elongated. The bark is uneven, gray in color, on young pagans it is green-brown with an abundance of subcutaneous spots. The buds are large, usually collected three together. The leaves are oval, pointed on one side. Sheet plate smooth, dark green. Blossoming falls on May 15-25. The flowers are large, pale pink on a short pedicle.
The flesh is juicy, tender, light yellow in color, the bone is flattened with a visible edge
Apricots varieties Akademik grow a mass of 30-55 g. The shape is round, slightly flattened from the barrels. The skin color is orange, with a scarlet blush. The flesh is juicy, tender, light yellow. Drupe goes away with ease. It is average in size, flattened with a visible edge. The core is sweet. The taste of the pulp is sweet with sourness. The sugar content is 11.8%, acid is 2.3%, and dry matter is 16.6%.
Characteristics of apricot AkademikRead also these articles.
- How to plant melon seedlings
- Straw chopper (hay)
- Dogwood Jam
- Top dressing of bees in the spring
After studying the characteristics of apricot Academic, you can find out what its positive and negative features.
- The variety is partially self-fertile. To increase the yield you need to plant apricots of the Khabarovskiy or Amur variety near.
- High yields are observed already at 6-7 year of growth of apricots, but in small quantities, fruits can be collected from 3 years after planting.
- It is resistant to drought and high humidity.
- Immunity is average. Best of all, the tree resists moniliasis, fruit rot, kleasterospiozu.
- The yield of Apricot Akademik is high, annual. With proper care and favorable weather, up to 40 kg of crop can be harvested from a tree per year.
Resistance to frost down to -40 degrees C
- Transportability is average. Fruits are suitable for transportation over short distances, but a long trip can cause the fruit to sap or start to deteriorate.
- Commercial quality fruits are not small, beautiful, fragrant.
- Resistance to frost down to -40 degrees Celsius.
Apricot cultivar Akademik can be grown not only in the southern, warm regions, but also in the northern, where winters are long and frosty, because the culture is resistant to cold. The plot for its cultivation is to choose sunny, but in any case the tree grows high and therefore one way or another the sun will be lit, the main thing is that the young seedling has enough heat. The plant can be grown on alkaline or neutral soil. Before planting, the soil must be fertilized.
Apricot plant Academic need to pit 70 cm deep and a diameter of one meter. A drainage layer is made on its bottom and a garter peg is installed. Fertile land for planting consists of peat, humus and garden soil. First, in the pit is a mound, on which the seedling is placed. Then, it is necessary to straighten the roots, lay them so that they do not bend over or break under the ground. After the sapling is leveled, you can cover it with earth. It is also necessary to ensure that the root neck was 3-5 cm above the ground level.
When the pit is filled, a small mound is made at the base of the tree — the root collar.Important! When the roots are sown with earth, sometimes it is necessary to bypass it in order to level it. Otherwise, you can plant a tree at an angle, but not exactly.
When the pit is filled up, a small mound is made at the base of the tree - the root collar, and at a distance of 15-30 cm from the trunk it is necessary to dig a small ditch in a circle. 1-2 buckets of water are poured into it so that the earth is compacted as best as possible. Pouring water is desirable only in the ditch, it should not fall on the root neck. After that, the ditch is filled with the remnants of the soil and it is pressed on top by hands. It remains only to tie a tree to a peg.
Care of a grade AkademikWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Description pepper varieties Atlant
- Breeding rabbits
- Planting strawberries in the fall
- How to cover roses for the winter?
Even inexperienced, young gardeners cultivating apricots Akademik will seem simple. The tree grows almost by itself. Rare interventions are required from the gardener in order for the culture to bear fruit better and not to hurt.
- The quality and abundance of irrigation depends on what time of year outside, and what the weather. In the heat, watering is carried out at least every 3 days. Under the tree 1-2 buckets of water or more are added - you need to make sure that the soil does not dry out. If it is rainy outside, then watering is reduced to a minimum.
- Top dressing bring 2-3 times a year. In the spring you need more nitrogen minerals, you can take for this urea, diluted chicken droppings, ash. In the summer make potash-phosphorus mixture. And in the fall, before winter, it is necessary to fertilize the earth with humus (once every 3 years) or to use superphosphate together with potassium salt. These minerals interfere, and in a dry form, they are inserted into a pivot circle, embedded in the ground.
If pests have appeared on the plant, insecticides are used.
- From diseases and pests need time to carry out treatment with solutions of potassium permanganate, Bordeaux mixture. If the apricot Akademik is already ill, it is treated with the drug "Skor", "Horus", "Mikosan-B" or the like. If pests have appeared on the plant, insecticides like "Decis", "Iskra M", "Prestige", "Mospilan", etc. are used.
- Cutting of a tree is carried out in order that it did not grow very high and in the sanitary purposes. Each year, the main shoots are slightly shortened, cutting them by 20% on average. All diseased, damaged pagons should also be cut off. Cuts are processed by garden pitch!
- In the autumn, you need to clean up under a tree so that there will not be opal foliage, weeds. In winter, the tree can be warmed. For this, mulch is made from peat in the near-barrage zone, and the trunk is wrapped with insulating material (lapnik, agrofibre, burlap). It is better not to take film and similar non-breathing materials, otherwise the bark will begin to sing.
Harvesting and processing
Apricots are harvested as they appear. The first fruits ripen in late July or early August. Up to 124 centners of fruit can be collected per hectare of planting. Harvest can be stored at room temperature for up to a week, then the fruits quickly deteriorate.
The fruits have a universal purpose. They can be consumed fresh, used for processing, making sweet pastries, fresh desserts. Fruits are suitable for drying, freezing.
Up to 124 centners of fruit can be collected per hectare of planting.Interesting! So that frozen fruits do not lose their shape, they do not need to be placed in a microwave or near a plate for quick defrosting. They should be thawed in the refrigerator or at room temperature.
Reviews of apricot variety Academic
Apricot Akademik know many gardeners. Their opinion on this variety can be found in the reviews that are presented below.
- Yuri Sirota: "The apricot variety Academic is fruitful and easy to grow. I really like it. The apricot academic grows with his father in the garden, but as a rule, I take care of the trees and, compared to other varieties, this one is more than good. It blooms in spring, with insects it is well pollinated. The only problem is that the tree grows high, because of this the harvest is not easy. You have to climb a tree or put a ladder, but it is very difficult to reach some fruits. In the last 2 years we just walked apricot - it is faster and easier ".
- Antonina Dinega: "I love the Akademik variety for sweet, juicy fruits. From the harvest collected from my tree, I cook jam, jams, juices, apricot mashed potatoes. They are very tasty fresh, for summer fruit salads. I tried to freeze. If you do everything right, then after defrosting, they will not lose their shape, the taste will remain the same as that of fresh fruit. So I recommend it to everyone, for different types of processing it is the ideal grade. "
- Catherine Golub: "We rarely meet apricots in the region, because the climate is rather cold, but my husband and I decided to plant a tree 4 years ago. They chose a winter-hardy Academician. In the first 2 years, they insulated not only the root zone, but also the tree itself, putting it over wrapping with agrofibre. It took quite a lot of time, but now we have a 4-year-old tree growing, powerful, strong, because it hasn’t even hurt. Last year they tried the first fruits - very tasty, although they didn’t captures, sweets are few, but suitable for preservation t. The jam of them is amazing, the pieces do not fall apart, the taste after cooking only improves. "