When choosing a raspberry variety, for planting on your own plot, it can be difficult to decide. In recent times, unusual varieties have been gaining popularity, with an atypical taste, aroma or color. Raspberry Glen Coe is attractive because it has a purple color of berries. Plus, it is very tasty and beautiful. Details about the features of the variety can be found in this article.
Description of the raspberry variety Glen Coe
The Glen Coe variety was obtained by Scottish breeders in 1989. To create this type of raspberry, the varieties Glen Prosen and Manger were crossed. Raspberry Glen Coe belongs to mid-season species. The bush grows massive, the pagons stand straight. The shoots are even, without thorns, 1.5-2 meters high on average. Annual pagons grow ripe by the fall and fruit buds are laid on them. And on two-year-old shoots, this plant gives fruit. The leaves are dark green, trifoliate, complex type.
The color of the berries is purple, the taste is sweet and sour, with a touch of blackberry
Berries are medium in size, about 3-5 g each. The shape of the berries is conical, on the branches they ripen in bunches of 7-9 pieces. Color purple after full maturation. On top of the thin skins of raspberry there is a visible wax coating. The taste is sweet and sour, with a touch of blackberry.
Characteristics of raspberry glen coeRead also these articles.
- Cranberry Jam
- Variety of potatoes Skarb
- Planting garlic in the fall
- Tomato variety Honey
Not only the color of the fruit, but also the unique characteristics of raspberry Glen Coe.
- Raspberries begin to ripen from mid-July, and gives the last berries in mid-September.
- Bushes are developing rapidly.
- Thornless pagons simplify bushes care and harvest.
- In cultivation the grade is unpretentious, maintains a short-term drought.
- The variety is almost not affected by root rot, verticillary wilt.
Productivity is high - 6 kg from a bush
- Productivity is high - 6 kg / bush.
- After ripening berries are not showered from the bush.
- Raspberry universal purpose.
- Winter hardiness up to -25 degrees Celsius.
Multiply raspberry Glen Coe can be different methods.
In this way, as you know, you can propagate any type of raspberry, and Glen Coe is no exception. The cuttings are cut in autumn, each up to 10 cm long. Then they are treated with preparations against fungi and placed in boxes, at the bottom of which there is peat. Top of them covered with moss, so as not to dry. You can keep cuttings by this method until spring, in the cellar or basement, where it is cool, but the temperature is above zero.
Periodically it is necessary to check the status of moss - it must be wet. If it dries, it is watered. So you can be sure. That the cuttings do not dry until spring. In the spring, after the return frost, you can land.
Multiply raspberry Glen Coe can be different methods
At the end of the growing season raspberries, shoots of Glen Coe themselves begin to bend to the ground. This is an interesting, unique property of the variety. When a loop and small leaves appear at the end of the pagon, it is necessary to bend it to the ground and sprinkle it with soil. After some time, the shoot will take root. In the spring or autumn, when the pagon has already sprouted, you can separate it from the mother plant and plant it in a permanent place.
Raspberry Glen Coe does not give shoots, but if you dig up the mother bush, you can see that there are many offspring on its roots, ready for rooting. They are pruned with part of the root so that the plant will quickly settle, and then they are planted.
For planting chopped roots, trenches with a depth of 45 cm on average are used. Water is poured into them, then seedlings are placed and powdered with earth. When planting rhizomes in spring and autumn, it will be possible to notice the growth of bushes. They are mulched for the winter, insulated. In the spring, when they give normal shoots, it will be possible to plant bushes.
This breeding method is usually used by breeders because it is labor intensive. Seeds are usually bought in the store or collected from the berries. Berries for collecting seeds must be ripe. They are forced into the sun, fray through a sieve and get seeds. Rinse under water, dry them and hide for storage.
Photo planting raspberry glen coe
In the spring, seeds are mixed with sand and sown into a mixture of sand and peat in equal shares. As soon as the seedlings appear, they are placed in a sunny place. Raspberry seedlings need an abundance of light (10-12 hours per day), so they are done by lighting up if needed. Water the seedlings moderately, so that the soil does not dry out even from above, but does not get swamped. Landing on a permanent place is carried out only with the appearance of 3 true leaves.
Features planting raspberry Glen CoeWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Planting apricot
- Flower Ryabchik Imperial
- Cattle Premixes
- Nevsky potatoes - variety description
To plant a raspberry variety Glen Something is better in the fall, but it can be done in the spring. The place for it is chosen sunny, with nutrient soil. The depth of groundwater is not higher than 1.5 meters! You can plant bushes in the trench. The aisle is 1 meter wide, and a distance of 30-50 cm is observed between the saplings.Important! When planting raspberries need to ensure that the root neck is above the ground! In no case it is impossible to fill it with soil!
Seedlings are placed in trenches and sprinkled with earth. Then you need to compact the earth, water and mulch. In a week, it is necessary to trim 40 cm to stimulate the rooting of the bushes.
Double Raspberry Trimming Scheme
How to care for raspberries
Care for raspberries Glen Coe is not difficult. You need to follow the standard rules of care, then the bushes will be able to develop and bear fruit normally.
- Watering raspberry Glen Coe is necessary in moderation, so that the earth is neither dry nor swampy.
- From time to time you need to loosen the land between the rows and under the bushes, so that it does not take a crust. At the same time, all weeds and fallen leaves are removed.
- Shrubs for normal cultivation is best tied up. This is done so that it is convenient to move between the rows and so that there is not a large load on the wagons during the ripening of the berries.
- Top dressings are carried out mineral and organic. Korovyak for dressing breed in proportion 1: 7, litter - 1:18. Herbal infusion of nettle or any other greens, do in the ratio of 1: 9 with water. From minerals you can take superphosphate. 50 g of fertilizer is taken 10 liters of water. During the season, an average of 3 dressings are carried out - during flowering, pouring berries and after harvesting. After making the feeding it is important to water the bushes.
Mulching of raspberries with sawdust is not necessary, but it will definitely not be superfluous
- So that the bushes do not hurt and the pests are not affected, it is necessary to spray them in early spring, and the ground around them with Bordeaux liquid for prevention. During the appearance of the leaves, spraying is carried out with a weak solution of potassium permanganate. When ripening berries, you can simply powder the bushes with dry wood ash for reliability. After harvesting, spraying with Bordeaux mixture is repeated.
- For the winter, the basal zone is mulched with straw for 25-30 cm. The bushes themselves, in case the winters are frosty and long, it is better to bend down to the ground, cover with spider branches or other insulating, but natural material (they will block the bushes under the film).
Harvesting and processing
Berries are harvested as they ripen, from about mid-summer. They ripen not massively, but in turn, in small batches. Raspberry Glen Coe easily moves away from the stalk, so there are no problems with it, while on its own, even when overripe, it almost never crumbles.
Raspberry Glen Coe is easily separated from the stalk, it does not crumble.
Application at a grade universal. Berries are suitable for making jam, jam. Also they make delicious homemade juice, alcoholic drinks, compotes. They are often used for baking, desserts, fresh fruit and berry salads. But, of course, most often raspberry Glen Coe is used for fresh consumption.
Reviews about raspberry variety Glen Coe
Reviews of gardeners about the raspberry variety Glen Coe are presented below.
- Julia Mertsalova: "The Glen Coe variety is very interesting. The studs are without thorns, which is very convenient. The berries grow large, sweet, with a strong aroma. We have been growing it for more than 3 years. It is picky and careless, it does not need any special conditions. The yield is high - raspberries are enough for the whole family, not only for food, but also for winter preparations. "
- Konstantin Aksenchuk: "My raspberry Glen Coe bears fruit quite well, but for some reason the berries are small. This year I will try to change fertilizer, but if it does not help, I will look for another variety. I don’t like to collect small raspberries, especially since I have a lot of land - it takes a lot of time, and the use is not as much as we would like. But as far as color and taste are concerned, there are no complaints. "
- Olga Yulina: "I bought this variety 2 years ago just because of the color of the berries. In the first year, the raspberry got accustomed, and very slowly, it was afraid that the bushes would die (I bought only 5 pieces). In the second year only 4 bushes survived. Crop raspberries Glen Coe it was a good one, the berries are tasty, as it should be, the size is medium. It likes blackberry flavor and pleasant smell. It is well suited for sale, only berries are juicy and remain poorly in transit. "