Unlike conventional types of sweet cherry, the columnar appeared recently, but has already managed to catch the fancy of many gardeners. Without taking a lot of space on the site, it gives a rich harvest! There are still not very many varieties of such trees, but enough to find a suitable option for different climatic zones. In this article, you can learn what a columnar cherry is and learn the best varieties.
Description of the columnar cherry
Externally, the columnar sweet cherry is simply a tree trunk with a small amount of leaves, and looks like a column, from which the name came. There are no spreading pagons like ordinary wood, but there are several branches, also covered with leaves. During fruiting, the trunk and a few branches of the tree are densely covered with cherries.
It is advantageous to plant such trees in small gardens, where there is little space, in country houses, where it is necessary to grow, besides trees, also many garden crops. Colony cherry does not cast away a large shade, as a simple tree, it is compact, has a high yield, if you provide it with full care.
The tree of colony cherry occupies a minimum of space on the site.
Advantages and disadvantagesRead also these articles.
- The best grades of thick-walled sweet pepper
- The best red grapes
- Breed of Charolais cows
- Victoria Breed Turkeys - Content Tips
Colony cherry possesses a mass of positive qualities.
- The tree occupies minimum space on the plot.
- Trimming is not needed. And this greatly simplifies the care, especially for young gardeners. It is only in rare cases that sanitary pruning can be carried out if the ponds are frozen or some diseases have appeared.
- Productivity is high, regardless of the variety.
- The first fruiting is observed in the year of inoculation of the seedling. If the tree was planted, the crop can be waited for about 3 years.
- The berries are tasty, usually large, juicy.
- The harvest can be collected both manually and mechanized.
Any varieties of columnar cherries, even frost-resistant, must be insulated for the winter!
There are few drawbacks in this type of sweet cherry, but there are some.
- These trees should be planted next to natural or artificial protection from winds, because during a storm the branches and the tree trunk itself can break.
- Wood demanding watering. It does not tolerate drought, but it cannot develop normally in marshy ground.
- Productivity is considered high for a columnar tree. But since there are not many branches of these trees, about 15 kg of berries are collected from the tree. In comparison with a simple cherry is not much. But if you grow berries for your needs, and not for sale, then the harvest is enough.
The best varieties of columnar cherries
Colony cherry can be yellow, red or even almost black. There are not many varieties of such trees, but they have high quality characteristics.
- "Queen Mary" suitable for cultivation in the southern and middle areas. The variety is fruitful, from a tree it is possible to collect about 15 kg of berries per season. The berries are delicious, red. The rind is dense. Variety suitable for transportation.
- "Yellow" - variety of columnar sweet cherry, gives berries of yellow color. Birds, as a rule, are not interested in this variety. The berries are tasty, sweet, suitable for transportation over long distances. Crop from the tree is collected not enough. The tree gives berries no more than 25 years!
- "Helena" - dessert type for cultivation in the middle part of Russia. Maturation is observed by mid-June. Growing culture up to 3 meters. The diameter of the tree is 1 meter. The variety is high-yielding, the fruits are pink-red, 14-15 g each. The pulp is dense, tasty, but there is not much juice in it. Fruits about 20 years, depending on the methods of cultivation and care.
- "Sylvia" - cold-resistant variety for cultivation in temperate climates. Gives great harvests. The tree bears fruit by the middle of June. It grows up to 4 meters with a crown with a diameter of up to 1.5 meters. The berries are large, burgundy color. Although the tree is resistant to frost, it needs reliable protection from strong winds!
- "Little Sylvia" - An analogue of the variety "Silvia", only miniature. It grows up to 2 meters with a crown up to 50 cm in diameter. Berries ripen to the last days of June. They are also burgundy, incredibly tasty, sugary, dessert type.
- "Sabrina" - self-fertile type of columnar cherry. It grows up to 2.5 meters. The crown is not thick. The berries are suitable for picking by the end of June. They are juicy, big, fleshy. The tree has resistance to cold, it is recommended for cultivation in the southern areas. It has a strong immunity to diseases and is rarely affected by pests.
Colony Cherry VarietiesImportant! Kolonovidnye varieties of cherries need the right composition of the soil. The earth must be fertilized, moderately loose and contain useful trace elements, so that it is fertilized several times during the season!
- "Iput" - A well-known variety, often used for industrial cultivation. Harvest ripens by the 20th of June. Burgundy berries, medium size, sweet, juicy, the stone moves away from the pulp well. The harvest is suitable for long transportation. It has a strong immunity to many diseases.
- "Tyutchevka" - mid-season, samoplodny grade. Ripens to the beginning of July. Burgundy berries with dense skin and fleshy pulp. Weight - 3.5-4.5 g. Productivity is high. Fruits in 25 years, then the culture needs to be replaced.
- "Sam" - early variety of columnar sweet cherry, recommended for industrial cultivation. The first harvest can be taken on June 10! Used for growing separately or as a pollinator for other varieties of trees. Berries of medium size, about 12 g, sugar, with a high content of juice. The tree is capable of producing a crop of about 15 years.
- "Delight" - variety of medium early ripening period. It grows up to 2.5 meters in diameter - 1 meter. Productivity is regular, high. The berries are large, up to 14 g, garnet color. Taste is sugar, juicy, it is recommended for the fresh use. Fruiting begins from 3 years after planting.
Sorts of colonic cherry for the Urals and SiberiaWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Apple variety Semerenko
- Why do not bloom violets
- How to water the watermelons
- Chicken droppings as fertilizer
Not many types of columnar cherries are grown in cold areas like the Urals or Siberia. As a rule, these are the most frost-resistant species, but even they need to be sheltered from frost in the winter!
Sorts of colonic cherry for the Urals and Siberia
- "Black" - unpretentious kind of columnar sweet cherry. It grows up to 2 meters maximum. The tree brings great harvests. It can be grown in the south, in the middle lane and even in the north of Russia. The berries are large, black and red, from which the name came. The rind is glossy, dense, but eaten.
- "Revna" ripens by early July. The berries are tasty, can be stored for a long time. Their weight is about 8 g. It is frost-resistant variety, suitable for cold regions. Resistant to all fungal diseases.
- "Baby" - Coloniform, high-yielding sweet cherry. The tree grows up to 2 meters, but usually lower, the tree diameter is up to 80 cm. The berries are sweet and sour, with a strong aroma. Use is universal. The harvest is suitable for both fresh consumption and canning. Recommended for cultivation in Siberia, but for the winter it is mandatory to cover!
Reviews of the columnar cherry
It is difficult to find a good columnar cherry seedling, many gardeners complain about this, but in terms of growing, the feedback on these trees is mostly positive.
- Diana Terentyeva: “The colony-shaped sweet cherry was planted because there was simply not enough space on the site. First they chose for a long time, then they ordered the Iput variety. After about 2-3 years, the first berries appeared. like simple sweet cherries, sweet, but larger. I like the fact that a tree does not take up much space, almost does not give shade - you can plant greens or other plants under it. So I recommend it to everyone. "
- Vadim Stockar: "My wife and I, what unusual trees did not try to grow in our garden. There were good experiments and unsuccessful ones. About 3 years ago, we purchased the black“ Cornaya ”cherry. This year, the first berries tasted. Very tasty - sweet. Berries - a sight for sore eyes. Now we will look for other colonic species of trees, because they really cool save space on the site. "
- Alexandra Grischuk: “Initially I thought that the columnar cherry is the most unpretentious tree, but it turns out that it requires constant care. , to slow down development. We always warm up for the winter so as not to risk it. But, in general, my impressions are satisfactory. The fruitful tree gives very tasty berries, so time is not wasted. "