Breeding geese is a profitable business. But very often young breeders are faced with a massive and unexpected case of goslings. The reasons seem to be no, the goslings just fall to their feet, they can begin to pluck feathers or go bald, but the result is always the same. Why goslings die, how to treat it and what preventive measures are available will be described later in the article.
Why do goslings die?
Diseases That Cause Goslings to Death
There are a number of common and dangerous diseases that cause goslings to die.
This disease is dangerous for any poultry, animals and even humans. It does not appear immediately and quickly becomes chronic. A young, recovered bird usually becomes a carrier. Most often transmitted along with the feed.
Symptoms: weakness, lethargy, loss of appetite, increased thirst, breathing difficulties, wheezing, and is a common reason why goslings die.Important! Antibiotics are not given for aspergillosis, because they provoke the development of the fungus.
Treatment: copper sulfate is added to the drinking water (0.05% solution). For 1-1.5 weeks, the bird is given Nystatin feed (25-30 mg / kg mass). Birds can be treated with iodine spray and give them vitamin A.
The room is treated with iodine aerosol at the rate of 20 ml of 0.5% concentration per cubic meter. The processing time is 5-6 days. Surfaces in the house and all the equipment you need to pour a blowtorch.
The causative agent of the disease is E. coli, which can affect the intestines, oviduct, ovaries. This E. coli exists in the body of any birds, but with insufficient care, when infected from the carrier or the consumption of contaminated feed. multiplies and goes into the active phase.
Symptoms: loss of appetite, drowsiness, frothy stools of greenish color, thirst.
Treatment: infected individuals are given antibiotics, however, in many neglected cases, the bird is allowed for slaughter and burned. From drugs helps "Neomycin", "Tetracycline", "Levomycetin". All surfaces in the house are treated with 3% Lysol, 5% bleach solution, formalin, phenol.Important! Many drugs colibacillosis quickly adapts, so they usually change if the disease recurs.
It is quite simple to avoid colibacillosis - in the first 3 days of life, goslings are given a propionic acidophilus broth culture. 10 ml of water is taken just 1 ml. Incubators are always treated with formaldehyde vapors before use.
- Cholera or pasteurellosis
It is caused by the bacterium pasrella, which is transmitted from infected individuals or through dirty feed, water, bedding, and equipment. Passes in chronic, acute or over-acute form.
- The super-acute form is sudden death, and even when the cause is opened, the cause cannot be identified.
- Acute form - thirst, loss of appetite, temperature 43.5 degrees, weakness, green, yellow or gray litter, may be with blood, discharge from the nasal sinuses.
- Chronic form - exhaustion, poor appetite, diarrhea, viscous discharge.
Treatment: recently infected individuals are treated with antibiotics and sulfa drugs. The room is treated with 15% lime slaked, 0.4% formaldehyde, 3% creolin. If the disease is at the stage of an epidemic, then all affected birds are killed and destroyed (burned).
Why do goslings fall to their feet and die?Read also these articles.
- Platicodone Flower
- Watermelon without stones - the best varieties with a description
- Astilbe flower
- The best breeds of goats
Why do goslings fall to their feet
In large and small farms, goslings are displayed in large numbers. Often there is a problem when the goslings fall to their feet. Why do goslings die, and before that they constantly fall to their feet?
- The lack of calcium, magnesium, vitamins of group B and other useful substances leads to weakness of bones, joints and goslings from lack of strength in the legs just fall. The problem is solved by adjusting the power, the inclusion of chalk in the diet.
- Worms are the cause of general weakness. After deworming the bird should gradually start to move away.
- The lack of gravel, though strange, is often the reason. Food in the stomach of a bird is poorly digested, constipation or diarrhea appear, it may be bloating. The little goose feels constant discomfort and just falls down from pain or weakness. An introduction to the diet of crushed gravel will correct the problem.
How to treat when goslings fall to their feet?
Many diseases and ailments have similar symptoms - goslings just fall to their feet and eventually die.
- Enteritis affects the liver, stomach, intestines. It is transmitted through diseased individuals, equipment, food, water. Manifested in the form of drowsiness, weakness of the legs (why individuals fall), discharge from the sinuses, liquid feces with blood. From enteritis is a 2-time vaccination. If the problem has already appeared, then it cannot be cured - the affected individuals are destroyed.
- Salmonellosis or paratyphoid fever is a frequent response by a veterinarian to the question of why goslings die. Infection occurs from infected birds or through birds, food, rodents. Often there is a disease with vitamin deficiency. Symptoms: inactivity, lethargy, lowered wings, uneven gait, poor appetite, thirst. Treatment: after examination, the veterinarian prescribes drugs like "Furazolin", "Biomitsin", "Tetracycline", "Sulfamedizina". Use them according to the instructions or as the vet says. The room with a bird is treated with a 5% bleach solution, a 20% solution of hydrated lime.
- Hymenolepdosis enters the body of birds with parasites, including mollusks, that is in the reservoirs. After about 3 weeks they begin to fall on their feet, they cannot rise, there are convulsions, paralysis, and all this leads to death. The anthelmintic disease is treated, and Albendazole and Liquafen suspension is given.
- Kidney coccidiosis is usually thickened with three months. Transmitted through water, greens or adult birds. Symptoms: lethargy, no appetite, decreased activity (falling on his feet and tilting on his back). It is very difficult to treat the disease because it comes back again. Most often, individuals are simply destroyed.
The reason why goslings fall to their feet may be the colibacteriosis described above.
Why do goslings pluck feathers?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Pinot Noir grape variety
- Variety of tomato Robin
- African swine fever
- Strawberry Festival
Why do goslings pluck feathers
There are cases when goslings for some reason tweak feathers. This leads to fear, because feathers and down for the bird are very important not only in terms of beauty, but also protection. The reasons why goslings pluck fluff from each other or feathers from adults may be several.
- Cannibalism appears in cramped spaces with bright lighting, poor ventilation, or high humidity. They can start pecking fluff and those goslings that simply lack protein. Such individuals are restless, they often clean the feathers for themselves and the surrounding individuals, pull them out, exposing their backs. The treatment is very simple - it is necessary to prevent crowding, to carry out ventilation, to ensure proper nutrition and access to fresh water, then there will be no reason why goslings die.
- Any goose's instinct is to pinch. If the young do not eat, do not drink, it can still begin to pinch the litter or other goslings. This is quite normal if it does not go beyond what is permitted. In the case when the gosling pinches other individuals before blood or pulls out a lot of fluff, you need to set it out, study it carefully, call the vet, because it can really be dangerous for birds. And in order to wean the chicks from this, you can simply give them the opportunity to pinch the grass - they will like this substitute more.
- Avitaminosis and lack of calcium leads to aggression and why goslings pluck fluff from each other. Under the beak it usually gets fluffy backs of relatives. In the case of such a problem, you need to balance the diet, include premixes.
Why do gooses go bald and how to treat?
Balding goslings often puts breeders into complete confusion. It would seem that a day or two ago they walked feathered and suddenly began to go bald quickly - what's the reason?
- Lack of beneficial substances leads to pecking at each other, but in addition, the fluff itself is lost, because there are no vitamins, so that it grows or at least just keeps. Sunflower cake and an increased amount of greens in the diet, premix for young animals can solve the problem.
- Cannibalism, described above, can also lead to the fact that individuals will pinch each other, and then become the reason why goslings die.
- Feather parasites lead to bald patches. Red dots are visible on the skin. Treat them with acaricidal drugs.
- Also, low humidity, lack of ventilation leads to loss of down and feathers. In dry air, fluff and feather grow very slowly, become brittle, of poor quality, fall out. Preferred for goslings humidity is 65-70%.
The first thing that every young breeder should understand is that diseases live where there is unsanitary conditions, where there is no basic cleanliness and fresh air. So the first and main point of prevention of any disease goslings is maintaining cleanliness. Clean goslings die very rarely!Important! Before settling in the poultry house of young individuals, thorough disinfection is carried out there, and the ceiling and walls can be whitened.
A frequent cause of ailments is dirty water, poor-quality food and the presence of drafts where goslings are kept. Therefore, goslings are usually kept in closed, ventilated rooms without drafts. The room is cleaned from time to time, the litter is completely changed so that it is not wet, dirty. Bowls for food, water washed every day or even several times a day and after each brood thoroughly disinfected.
Reduce the risk of disease will help correct diet and timely vaccination. Every breeder should know what can be vaccinated from small goslings and vaccinate whenever possible at an early age. Then problems with breeding of young stock will arise much less often.