White cabbage Blizzard - a new variety, bred at the West Siberian vegetable station. This is a well-known and very common variety. Gardeners grow this cabbage for the winter, because it is well stored. Appearance forks presentable, so for sale, it is suitable. But what else can please grade? About the qualities and features of Blizzard can be found in this article.
Description cabbage varieties Blizzard
Cabbage Blizzard - srednepozdniy variety, ripens in 140-145 days from the time of emergence. The outlet of this cabbage is vertical, 35-45 cm high. The diameter of the socket can reach 110 cm, but more often about 85 cm. Leaflets are about 10-15 in the outlet. They are rounded, slightly oblong, dense, medium in size. The plate is rounded, up to 40 cm wide and 40 cm long. The leaves are slightly concave, with wavy edges. Color gray-green with a pronounced layer of wax. Scape about 12 cm with 2-3 lobes. Venation is present in moderate.Interesting! For storage of cabbage, only a cool, dark room with a temperature of -1 ... +1 degree and humidity of 90-95% is suitable.
Heads of cabbage varieties Blizzard grow up to 5 kg, although more often come across heads of 3.5-4 kg. The shape is rounded flat, forks are even, without hillocks. The heads are very dense, in the cut white-yellow or just white. Sheets juicy, crunchy, after a little otlezhatsya. The upper leaves have anthocyanin color, and those below are light green. Suitable variety for fresh consumption, cooking first, second courses, fermentation, pickling.
Ripe cabbage Blizzard
Characteristics of cabbage BlizzardRead also these articles.
- Watermelon variety Astrakhan
- Cherry variety Shpanka
- Grapes Arcadia
- Black Raspberry and its features
All the main characteristics of cabbage Blizzard are not bad enough:
- Variety of cabbage Blizzard is resistant to temperature extremes, especially to spring frosts.
- There is resistance to cracking heads.
- There is immunity to vascular and mucous bacteriosis. There is also an average resistance to fomoz and black leg.
- Cabbage Blizzard is very well stored without loss of taste or appearance about 6-7 months.
- From each square meter they harvest 10 kg on average.
- Heads of cabbage are easily transported, they are quickly sold on the market at the expense of a presentable look.
- The taste is excellent and as it is stored, the taste improves, the cabbage is poured with juice, it concentrates the vitamins, sugars, and minerals.
Cabbage Seeds Blizzard
Growing and caring for cabbage
In the southern regions, this variety can be grown by the seed method - immediately sowing to a permanent place in a greenhouse or open ground, but in the middle and northern regions, gardeners use the seedling method. Seedlings begin to grow 50 days before planting - approximately in April. Seeds are buried in the ground at 0.5-1 cm no more. When the sprouts have reached the normal size (4-5 leaves) and are ready for planting on a permanent place, they can be transplanted. Between the rows make a distance of 70 cm, and between individual shoots - 45-50 cm.
Care is not very difficult and is in simple procedures that are known to every gardener.
- Watering is needed as necessary, so that the earth in no case strongly dried up. When the head starts to pour, watering is reduced by 2 times.
- Loosening the soil is necessary for good soil aeration, as well as for the prevention of diseases, pests. In addition, weeding simplifies the destruction of weeds.
- Fertilizing of seedlings is carried out several times per season, so that the cabbage grows quickly and is tasty. It is possible at the beginning of the growth of a plant to feed it with some kind of growth regulator (Ecosil, Peat Oxidate, Growth-Growth), as well as nitrogen fertilizer.
Planting cabbage Blizzard
- So that the beds do not dry out very quickly, and the cabbage is the most suitable medium, you can mulch the plantings.
- If the culture is visible pests, it is necessary to treat it with insecticides, if the disease - fungicides. But what about the type of drug, then it all depends on the maturation of the plant. If it is still young, then you can take a chemical drug, if it is already grown up - biological. Adult heads are recommended to be treated with solutions prepared according to popular recipes.
Cabbage blizzard ripens around mid-September, sometimes a little later, if the summer was cold or rainy. Postponing with the harvest is not recommended. If the cabbages are overexposed in the garden, their shelf life will be reduced. In addition, in the fall, many pests are looking for a place to hibernate and can climb into available and ready to harvest cabbage.
Cabbage Reviews BlizzardWe recommend reading our other articles.
- The best breeds of rabbits
- How to plant cabbage on seedlings
- Pig diseases
- Victoria Breed Turkeys - Content Tips
Gardeners willingly grow cabbage varieties Blizzard. The reason is both in yield and in taste, as well as in the keeping quality and universality of forks.
- Maxim Shulika: “Cabbage Vyuga conquered me last year when I first decided to try to grow it. Although there was not much experience in this business, but the harvest was not bad. Of course, my cabbage mistress is far from the store heads. The average weight is 3 kg, but I’m quite satisfied. Next year I will plant again. "
- Victor Herman: "The variety is for those who love delicious sauerkraut. In my family it is grown only for pickling - somehow it happened. Every year I plant a row of this variety, it doesn't store for storage - we salt the entire crop. And in the winter - as it is a little later - from such sauerkraut the best salads are made! ".
- Victoria Sergeeva: "I grow up a variety of cabbage Blizzard only by the seedling method - it grows too slowly, it may not like the land. But if you feed it regularly (I do it once every 2-3 weeks), the harvest will be good. It lies until January or February, as when it tastes winter is just magical. "