Not all flower growers are aware of such an exotic plant as pachistahis. Only recently has it begun to gain popularity as decorative. Its peculiarity is tall stems, large, green leaves and incredibly beautiful bracts that look like large spikelets.
Flower pahistahis refers to tropical species. This is a representative of the Acante family. Most often grown in flower beds, as in a residential environment can cause difficulties in terms of care. People call the culture "Lollipop", "Antique Candelabrum", "Yellow Candle" and "Golden Shrimp". The scientific name "Pachystachys" is translated from Greek as "thickened ear".Interesting! What is considered the flower of the pachistachis, the thickened spike, is in fact only its bract.
Growing culture bush. Stems can be very large, if they are not cut, the leaves are slightly elongated, green. Bract - the most prominent part of the plant. It is something resembling a fat cone. Flowers appear from bracts. They have an elongated spongy shape. Color usually pale cream.
Types and varieties of PachistachisRead also these articles.
- Currant variety Ural beauty
- Nubian goats
- Breed of chickens Fireol
- How bees make honey
Homeland plants tropical forests of India and South America. In the wild, these plants are very common - people in tropical regions even consider them a simple weed. And in temperate and northern latitudes, this plant is considered decorative and is grown at home or in clubs. What are the most popular types?
- Yellow pachistachis can be found more often. It is a large shrub with slightly branching stems up to 110 cm long. The leaves are large, oblong (up to 10 cm), with a sharp tip, green in color. Bract yellow, can grow up to 10 cm in length. Flowers elongated, white or cream, grow almost perpendicular to the bract.
- Red pachistachis is grown mainly in flowerbeds, in greenhouses. It can reach a height of 2 meters. The leaves are large, rich green. Bracts bright green, in tons with leaves. But the flowers - red, elongated.
- Spikelet pachistachis is the rarest species of all listed. Grown in greenhouses, botanical gardens. The leaves are dark green (up to 25 cm). The bract is also green. Flowers are very decorative, bright, red, collected in the form of cones.
How to care for Pachistah at home?
Pakhistakhis at home
Pachistachis is believed to be a capricious plant. But if you apply to him, then care at home will not cause great difficulties.
- Pachistahis loves warmth like any tropical plant. But the heat is not suitable for him. The temperature in summer is +21 ... +25 ° С, and in winter +20 ... +23 ° С. Any sharp rises or falls in temperature that go beyond the permissible range lead to flower pain and a variety of problems with flowering, leaf color, growth, and so on.
- Permanent drafts cannot be allowed, but from time to time it is still worth opening windows and airing the room if the flower grows in a room.
- Light must be diffused both in the flowerbed and at home. A lot of shadow leads to the appearance of rot, and direct sunlight can burn the leaves, so it is important to find a middle ground. If the plant is grown at home, then they need to be put on the western or eastern window. In winter and late autumn, you can transfer the flower to the southern window.
- Humidity is maintained elevated (from 60%), since the large leaves of the plant evaporate a lot of moisture. The easiest way to maintain it is to spray about 2-3 times a week. You can also install near a pot of water, with wet, decorative pebbles.
- Watering in the warm season is carried out 1-2 times a week, and in the cold - once in 10 days. The earth should never dry out!
- Feeding is needed during the period of active growth. Usually they are carried out in spring and summer with a frequency - once every 2 weeks. Fertilizer is taken for flowering plants: "Agricola," Good Power "," Flower Happiness "," Etisso "," Bona Forte ". From organic matter a low concentration of mullein will be suitable.
- In order for the pachistachis not to be stretched heavily, it must be cut and pinned regularly. Pruned culture in February or March. Long shoots (that have grown to 20 cm) pinch at the right level, and the old - pruned. Thus, the growth of lateral branches is stimulated.
Pachistachis bloomWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Bee brood
- The best varieties of dill
- Growing onions on a feather
- Perineum machine
The dignity of the pachistachis is flowering. But in order for the flower to bloom beautifully, it is necessary to take care that all necessary conditions are necessary for this.
- The temperature is maintained at the comfort level indicated above. In this case, the humidity should be high.
- During the period of laying the flower stalkers, the culture is fed up, otherwise it may slow down in development and even completely reset the bract.
- Pruning is carried out not only to the culture was beautiful, compact, low, but also to bloom. Old shoots do not give flowers. Bracts and flowers are characteristic only of young stems.
- Only with an abundance of diffused light pakhistahis blooms. If the light is low, it will increase greens.
If all the conditions for flowering plants are met, pakhistahis will bloom from late winter to mid-autumn. In rare cases, flowering can last the whole year.
Pachistachis are propagated by cutting. It is possible to conduct grafting at any time of the year. But usually it is combined with pruning. Cuttings with 2-3 internodes are cut from the mother plant. Then they are placed in the substrate or in the water in order to develop the roots.
- In the case of immersion in water, you just need to take the separated warm water and put a cutting there. When the roots are 2-3 cm long, the stalk is planted in the nutrient ground (on the street or in a room pot).
- If the cutting is rooted in the substrate, then you need to make a mixture of sand and peat in equal proportions. In this mixture immersed cuttings of 3 cm and cover with a plastic bag with a small hole for ventilation. Cuttings, if necessary, watered, sprayed, sometimes ventilated. In a month, the first roots will appear. Then you can remove the package, and a month later - transplant the rooted cuttings in separate pots or flower beds.
Pachistachis is transplanted about once a year if it does not grow very fast. The procedure is carried out in the spring or at the end of winter. Sometimes a re-transplant is required throughout the year, when the crop is simply cramped in a pot - the roots peeking from the drainage hole.
The ground for pachistachis must be nutritious, loose, so that the water passes through it well, with low acidity. In the case of acquiring land in a store, suitable soil for flowering plants or a universal soil with vermiculite or sand. If the land is made independently, then it should combine equal parts of peat, sand, humus, sod and leafy soil.Important! Replacing the pachistachis in a new pot, completely shake off the soil or wash the roots is not recommended, because you can very easily damage them.
The pot is selected in size so that the flower does not feel cramped. It is better to choose a slightly larger one than the previous one. The third of the pot is filled with drainage. The same in the case of planting on a flower bed. In the hole under the culture is always important to put drainage. It is not needed only in sandy land, but then it is necessary to enrich it with leafy and soddy earth. Transplantation is carried out by the method of transshipment, while even a blooming flower can be transshipped, it is quite safe.
Diseases, pests and other problems
Diseases and pests
Sick flower pachistahis very rare. It is resistant to most diseases, but improper care at home leads to various problems.
- Lack of moisture leads to wilting leaves. And, unfortunately, after watering, they are not always restored - usually they fall off. Therefore, it is necessary to ensure that the earth does not dry out much.
- If the leaves began to lose color, acquire light shades, then most likely the flower lacks nutrition. In this case, mandatory feeding is introduced - once every 2 weeks.
- Twisting the leaves or dry tips talk about low humidity. Spraying will help to solve the problem, as well as installation near an open container with water.
- If pahistahis dropped the leaves until autumn, then the reason is that the flower has little watering or the temperature is very low.
From pests pachistachis can spoil a mealybug, scale insect, spider mite. Fight them with insecticide spray.