Snapdragon or antirrinum is a perennial culture of the Podorozhnikov family. This genus includes more than 50 species of plants, which differ not only in the flowering period, but also in the color of flowers. North America is considered the birthplace of culture, but it is grown in different parts of the world. The love of gardeners snapdragon received thanks to the sophisticated flowers, unpretentiousness and delicate aroma.
Botanical description of Antirrinoma
Snapdragon - a perennial plant that many gardeners prelovchilis grow as an annual. The pagons are usually straight, with many branches, 20-100 cm high. The leaves that cover the stems are oval or oblong.
Collected flowers in long spikelets
Buds are large, with a pleasant smell. They are simple and terry. Collected flowers in long spikelets. The color of the flower is white, yellow, scarlet, pink. There may also be two-colored and even three-colored varieties. Flowering lasts from June to the first strong frosts. The seeds of this plant are incredibly small - 7000 seeds weigh only 1 g!Interesting! The name of the flower is associated with a beautiful legend. When Hercules defeated the Nemean lion, the goddess Flora (patroness of flowers) presented him with a flower, called the "snapdragon" in honor of this great event.
Varieties and types of snapdragonRead also these articles.
- How to feed the grapes?
- Pigs of breed Duroc and their characteristics
- The best varieties of pears for the Moscow region
- Pear Talgar beauty
Photo of snapdragon variety Rosa (The Rose)
All species of lion's pharynx are divided by height into tall (80-100 cm), medium tall (50-60 cm), undersized (up to 40 cm).
Tall species grow pyramidal bush. They have several stems, and the main one is usually higher than the rest. Varieties of this type are suitable for cutting and can stand in vases for a long time without spoiling.
- Velvet Jaint is an antirrinum 80 cm high. Its buds are very fragrant, deep red in color, large.
- "Rose" - meter plant. It produces large flowers of soft pink color.
- "Alaska" - tall snapdragon, giving snow-white flowers.
Photo of snapdragon varieties Alaska (Alaska)
Sredneroslye varieties differ lush bushes. On the stem there are many branches, so the bush turns out more lush than high.
- "Wild Rose" - a variety up to 40 cm in height. The flowers are pink, collected in ears.
- “Red Chief” is a 45 cm high culture. It grows with a lush, bright kous. The flowers are large with red velvet petals. It blooms for a long time.
- "Golden Monarch" - a culture that grows more than 50 cm in height. Flowers lemon or golden color.
Photo of red onions lion's pharynx (Red chief)
The stunted varieties of snapdragon grow in the form of small, spherical bushes with small flowers.
- Crimson Velvet - culture up to 30 cm in height. Flowers velvet, dark red color.
- "Floral" - a group of dwarf varieties for pot cultivation. Color buds can be in 13 versions.
- "Crown" - a species that grows up to 35 cm in height. Flowers varied colors.
There are a lot of varieties of snapdragon, so the choice in the store allows you to find the perfect variety that you like.
Lion's mouth Ampely
Lion's mouth Ampely
The ampel lion's pharynx was created by plant breeders for planting in pots. These flowers are quite tender and are not capable of developing in the open. There are several varieties of amble gooseneck. Pagons they hang down from the pots and can be 80-100 cm long. The buds are collected in raceme spikes. The most common and popular variety is Lampion.Interesting! Seeds collected from the plant, can maintain 100% germination up to 5 years!
Growing from seedWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Flour, its species and varieties
- Premix for chickens
- How to feed garlic in the spring?
- How to feed a currant?
Preparing for planting seed of lion's mouth
Snapdragon - unpretentious culture. You can grow it from seed or seedling method. Most often, the seeds are simply sown in open ground - this is the simplest method of reproduction, fast and efficient. Sow seeds in the spring when the earth warms up. Since the seeds of this plant are small, they are sown with a simple method, without observing the distance, and sprinkled with a thin layer of sand or earth.
To the seeds quickly sprouted, you can cover them with a film, but not necessarily. After the appearance of sprouts, they begin to thin out. Thus, they get strong seedlings and in time they can be planted so that they do not interfere with each other's growth.
Photo of a lion's pharynx Golden Monarch variety (Golden Monarch)
Preparation of seedlings of Lion's pharynx
When growing a snapdragon in the central and northern parts of Russia, it is worthwhile to give preference to the seedling method. Then the flowers will be releasing buds from June. And when to plant this plant on seedlings? Sowing seedlings do in March or early April.
The soil should consist of turf, sand, perlite and vermiculite. If you do not want to make it yourself, you can simply buy land for violets. Before sowing seeds, for the prevention of insects and diseases, it is necessary to water the earth with a weak solution of potassium permanganate, and then spread them out into boxes for sowing seeds.
Sowing seeds of snapdragon in peat tablets
The seeds of this culture are very small. To make it easy to sow, it is best to mix them with sand in a ratio of 1: 3 and then just scatter them on the ground in a box. There is no need to fill in the seeds, as they are already mixed with sand. Now you need to spray the ground with water from a spray bottle and cover the boxes with glass. In a warm place at a temperature of +24 degrees, the seeds will germinate in 12-15 weeks. Every day, up to this point they need to be ventilated for 15-30 minutes and sprayed with water, if necessary.
When sprouts appear, you can remove the glass. But it is best to do it gradually, within 5-7 days, teaching the plants to fresh air. Box with young shoots rearranged on the window sill, but darkened from direct sunlight.Important! So that the sprouts do not hurt, you can water them, alternating between plain water and a light solution of potassium permanganate. And after watering, the soil around the seedlings loosened. Take for this you can, for example, a thin pencil.
Feeding seedlings of snapdragon
After the appearance of 2-3 leaves, the pickling of the seedlings is done in separate containers. For this you can take paper, plastic or peat cups. 10 days after the picking, the sprouts are fertilized with complex mineral dressing for decorative flowers.
7 days before planting in the flower bed, it is necessary to pinch the central pagon over the 5th leaf to stimulate the formation of side branches. In this case, the bush will grow lush.
Where to plant the snapdragon
Photo of five-day seedlings of snapdragon
Antirrinum loves well-lit areas and is not afraid of the scorching rays of the sun. In the penumbra, it can also develop, but does not bloom as luxuriously as the sun. But in the shadows of his plan vosche not recommended. The plant must be protected from strong winds, so you can plant it near the natural fence.
Land for planting loosened, interfered with the compost. It must be neutral and with good drainage. The best option is loam, but sand or sandy loam with an abundance of humus is added to it. The groundwater level should not be high, otherwise the root system will rot.Interesting! The best neighbors for the snapdragon will be sage, cosmos, marine alissum. But, of course, the plant will develop well next to other cultures if it is provided with high-quality care!
Planting and maintenance in the open field
Planting snapdragon in open ground
Planting seedlings of lion's pharynx is done around May, when the return frost will take place. You can plant sprouts on flowerbeds, lawns, curbs or fences - as you like. Tall species are placed at a distance of 40-50 cm from each other, the distance for srednerosly antirrinums is 30 cm, and for low-growing varieties 20 cm is enough space from all sides.
After planting, the culture needs to provide complete care. In this case, the flowers will develop beautifully, and produce timely inflorescences.
- Water the snapdragon should be regularly and often only after planting seedlings and during droughts. In the rest of the time, it is possible to do with the rare introduction of water, as the top layer of the soil dries out.
Photo of Lion's Pharynum Floral variety
- After watering, it is necessary to plow up the ground with a hoe and remove the weeds that are between the rows and between the plants. Weeds are uprooted, and not cut off with a hoe, leaving it on the ground!
- Mulching is recommended by many gardeners. It reduces the rate of watering, prevents weeds from growing, and the land becomes better quality. You can use decorative mixtures, wood chips, nutshells as mulch.
- Tall varieties that reach the meter, preferably tied to a support, so that the stems do not bend during a strong wind, because they can break!
- It is possible to prolong flowering by removing all faded buds with spikelets until they have formed seeds.
- Top dressing do mineral fertilizers for flowering crops. This procedure can be done once every 2 weeks, starting from the moment of planting seedlings in open ground.
- Of the diseases for this plant are dangerous: black leg, Fusarium, Septoria, gray mold, rust. Any areas affected by the disease are usually destroyed and treated with Previcur, Bravo, Acrobat fungicides for prophylaxis.
- From pests such as aphids, caterpillars and scale insects, one can purchase drugs "Aktara", "IntaVir".
Snapdragon enjoys great love gardeners around the world. This is a beautiful plant that is often planted with bells, petunias, marigolds and a variety of leafy, ornamental cultures. Caring for them is not laborious, but they bring quite a bit of joy during flowering, surprising by the variety of colors of the buds.