Portulac belongs to the portulac family. The name comes from the Latin word "portula", which means "gate". The reason for the appearance of the name is the method of opening the flower seed box. In the world there are many types of culture, but only some of them are widely used as decorative. About the features of the flower and its varieties will be discussed below in the article.
Description of the plant Portulak
Photos of flowers Portulak
The decorative purslane flower is a short, ampelous plant growing in height up to 30 cm, but more often lower. There are also species that can grow above 60 cm. It is grown as an annual. Its roots are branched. Stems are fleshy, curly, have a brown color. The leaves are bright green, fleshy and juicy.Important! Because of the climbing stem, the purslane is often called the "rug". This is a very useful flower, the leaves of some species of which are eaten and used in traditional medicine.
Flowers are large, they open only in sunny weather, and always close on cloudy days. Buds in the form of cups, are terry or simple type. Flowering occurs during the warm season, but exact dates are difficult to call, because different species and varieties may differ in the period of budding. The color of the buds is white, orange, pink, brown or peach. The fruits are a box in the shape of a ball, in which there are seeds.
Types and varieties of portulacaRead also these articles.
- Bird Coop Bedding
- Grade apricot Khabarovsk
- How much milk does a goat give per day
- Summer apple varieties
Types of Portulaca
The portulac plant has more than 100 species, some of them are ornamental, others are garden ones (used as food), there are also those that are considered weeds. Some are annual, others are perennial. For flower growers, large-color varieties are of particular interest, they are also decorative.Interesting! Due to the fact that the purslank flower is twisted and belongs to the ampelous species, it is grown as a covering crop on flowerbeds or in hanging pots.
- "Princely Scarlet"- a plant whose bush grows up to 25 cm. Petals of flowers are crimped. Color can be white, apricot or scarlet.
- "Splendens"- has purple-pink flowers. They are very bright, beautiful.
- "Royal"purslane is a short, 15 cm tall plant. The flowers are simple but large and can have a varied color.
How to breed Portulak?
Reproduction of the flower of portulaca is carried out most often by the seed method. For sowing always use moist, nutritious soil, but in this case it is better to use compost with a small amount of soil. Sowing time - the beginning of spring. The seeds are simply sown in a nutrient medium at a distance of 1 cm and to a depth of 5 mm, you can slightly tuck into the soil.
After that, the box with the seeds is placed in a darkened room with a temperature of + 20 ... +30 degrees, and covered with a film. The film is taken transparent to let the light through. After about 15 days, the first shoots appear, then the film is removed, and the box with the seedlings is put on a sunny, bright place. When the first 2 leaves appear, a pick is taken on individual cups. The first time, every 2 weeks, the seedlings are fed with complex mineral fertilizers, and when the culture is strong (1-2 months), you can transplant it to a permanent place.Important! This is a very delicate culture, so you need to carefully transplant it along with the soil around the root!
The purslane flower is also propagated by cutting. Cuttings in the fall, and then placed in a dark, cool place for the whole winter. In the spring they are cut into length with a matchbox, remove all the lower leaves and put in the ground. They quickly take root, so that such reproduction is effective, the main thing is that the mother plant is healthy and strong.
How to plant and transplant purslane?We recommend reading our other articles.
- How to prepare the bees for the winter
- Temperature modes of quail eggs incubation at home
- Watermelon variety Astrakhan
- When to make manure
Portulac is literally dependent on the sun. Since its flowers open exclusively in sunny weather, they react to the sun, and therefore planting a culture in the shade is not a good idea. It also does not tolerate low temperatures, so it only grows actively in the hot season.
For planting portulaca seedlings in open ground, you need to wait for the time when the temperature is more than +10 degrees, otherwise the seedlings may freeze and die. Plant sprouts at a distance of 10-15 cm from each other. The land should be well composted so that you can not feed the plants during the first 3-4 months of life.
Flowers in the house
After planting the plant begins active care at home for him. But what exactly procedures Portulak flowers need?
- Watering is carried out every 5 days. An adult purslane flower needs abundant watering, as its fleshy stems and leaves consume a lot of water, especially during the hot period and during flowering.
- If a flower grows in an apartment, it must be taken out in the summer to fresh air (a greenhouse, a winter garden, a balcony, a patio) so that it will be saturated with fresh air.
- As the plant creeps, it is not necessary to loosen the soil - all the more so as to make it incredibly difficult, but if weeds appear - it is worth getting rid of them.
- Direct sunlight to purslane does not harm. On the contrary, they provide a flowering, fresh look of the plant and active growth, but you need to save it from the shadow if possible.
Top dressing bring no more than once a month. And for this purpose complex fertilizers for flower plants are used.Interesting! Small, fleshy leaves contain a lot of moisture. Therefore, the plant suffers drought without problems.
- With the onset of the first autumn frosts, the ground part of the plant and the root system die. Therefore, you need to have time to collect seeds from the plant. They are stored for up to 3 years and have excellent viable qualities.
- If you do not want to "part" with a beautiful flower, you can transplant it into a flower pot and put it on the window sill (warm). In the apartment it will grow all winter and spring, and in the summer it can be transplanted into a flower bed again.
What problems arise when growing?
Aphid - pest harnesses
Gardeners who grow a purslane flower speak of him as a resistant plant. But this does not mean that he does not need care at home. If pests or diseases have appeared on the flowerbed, the culture is likely to get sick. What problems do flower growers most often face?
- Silver "beads" on the leaves indicates the appearance of thrips. They suck the juice of the plant, so they need to get rid of them urgently. To do this, the treatment is done with insecticides of local or systemic action: "Vertimek", "Biotlin Bau", "Alatar", "Aliot", "Aktara" and the like.
- Aphids usually eat portulaca flowers. To get rid of it, it is worth treating the flowers with one of the proposed remedies: "Fitoverm", "Tanrek", "Karbofos", "Konfidor", "Karate", etc.
Fungus lesion is manifested in spots on the leaves, changing the shape of the leaves. To fight the fungus, it is necessary to cut off the diseased shoots and leave healthy ones, and then cultivate the land with fungicides containing copper.