The grapes adapt well to different growing conditions, but they need the right care. And if there are usually no problems with planting and dressing, then watering causes a lot of questions. How to water the grapes? This is the main question of all novice gardeners who have never grown a culture before. The article will describe how to water the plant in spring, summer and autumn, as well as immediately after planting and in the first year of vineyard development.
Features watering grapes
In order to understand how to water the grapes, you must first study the features of irrigation culture. There are several types of watering grapes.
- Planting irrigation is carried out directly during the planting of grapes.
- Irrigation and alternate irrigation are needed in the first year after planting.
- Water recharge irrigation is carried out in autumn and spring. Its purpose is to nourish the bush with moisture for a long time.
- Summer watering or vegetative irrigation is carried out in order to maintain a normal level of moisture in the soil for the development of culture.
Grapes varieties that are very fond of a wet environment
It is worth noting that the abundance of water for the vineyard is just as harmful as its lack. Therefore, zealous with watering is impossible. They are carried out only as needed. As for the amount of water, it all depends on the grape variety, as well as on climate, soil type, planting place.
- Grapes such as "Lydia", "Isabella", "Seneca" (and other izabelnye), as well as "Saperavi", "Neretinsky" very much like a moist environment. Of course, they need more irrigation than other species.
- In sandy soil, moisture leaves faster, respectively, and more water is needed, and in clay water, on the contrary, is delayed, so watering is reduced. Therefore, before watering the grapes you need to check the condition of the soil. If it is dry, water can be added.
- If the vineyard is planted in a wetland or where there is a high level of groundwater, watering should be minimized. The root system of grapes is well developed, so additional frequent watering can only harm.
- In hot, arid regions, watering is needed more than in cities with a humid, cool climate.
How to water the grapes in the spring?Read also these articles.
- How to water grapes
- Best Egg Breeds
- Apple varieties for the Urals
- Feeding kids after lambing
After a long winter, the vineyard needs to “wake up” in the spring.
After a long winter, the vineyard needs to “wake up” in the spring and water becomes the best helper in this. In a snowless winter, the land receives almost no moisture in the spring, so it can be completely dry. In this case, the grapes must be watered abundantly, for moisture recharge. If there was a lot of snow in the winter, then watering in the early spring is not done, it can only harm the vineyard.
But how to water the grapes in the spring? This is done before bud break. For spring water recharge use only warm water, it allows you to speed up the awakening of the shrub. But if this is not possible, just plain cold water will do. It is still cool outside at this time, and melting snow cannot be called warm, so there will be no shock to the plant from the cold, such as in summer. Under adult shrubs, they usually take 50-65 liters of water at a time, but not from a well!
How to water in the summer?
On average, 5–20 liters of water are added to an adult shrub every week.
Summer watering is very important. They are held not only to support the development of vines or green mass. Water plays a very important role in the formation of berries on grapes. Their quality also depends on water. With too frequent watering, the berries will be watery, and in case of insufficient water, they will be acidic or simply will not develop normally.
How to water the grapes in the spring? On average, 5–20 liters of water are added to an adult shrub every week. A more precise amount cannot be said, since it can be different for each variety, and the climate plays a significant role. In a rainy summer, watering is generally carried out once a month and this is quite enough.
From mid-July, watering should be reduced by half, and in August it is worth stopping the watering of the shrubs altogether. The abundance of water at this time will interfere with the maturation of the vine and the crop.
How to water the grapes in the fall?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Flowering shrubs
- Diseases of chickens and their treatment
- Rabbit Disease
- The best meat and egg breeds of chickens
Watering in the autumn is carried out only if there is a lack of rain.
In the autumn you need to prepare the crop for the winter. This also applies to the vineyard. It is abundantly watered, in order for the earth to be saturated with water. The fact is that dry land freezes faster and cracks. Frosty air gets inside and it is very harmful to the roots. And if there is a lot of moisture in the land, it does not crack, and the roots of the vineyard can be safe all winter.
However, since it is necessary to water the grapes in moderation, it is worth bearing in mind that watering in the autumn is carried out only if there is a lack of rain. If autumn is dry, there is almost no rain, then you really need to take care of the grapes and bring up to 65 liters of warm water under each bush about a couple of weeks before the first frost. But, if there is a lot of rain, the land will have enough water, so they don’t water for the winter.
With the seasonal procedure, everything is clear, but how to water the grapes during planting and after it in the first year? During the planting of young seedlings the ground should be plentifully watered with hot water if the planting is carried out in the spring or warm in the fall. In the hole under the seedling need to pour at least 1-2 buckets of water and wait until it is completely absorbed. After the seedling is planted, it is simply irrigated with water heated in the sun. For this will be enough and one bucket of water.
In the first year after planting the grapes require attentive care. Watering is usually carried out through a trench dug 30 cm from the base of the shrub. Such a trench is to be pulled out every time it is watered, then, when the water is absorbed, it is buried and the ground is loosened.
The number of summer waterings of grapes in the first year after transplantation depends on the weather, climate, variety. Average rates - a bucket of water per week. But they may differ. Around August, watering stops. At this time there is no longer arid weather, and there will be enough autumn rains for a young bush.
The tips below will help you avoid many mistakes and simplify the watering of the grapes.
Cold water will inhibit the growth of the vine
- Before watering the grapes, you need to explore the cultivated variety. As mentioned above, some grape varieties are very fond of moisture. Insufficient watering will lead to a bad harvest.
- Water under watering is taken cool or warm. The cold will inhibit the growth of the vine, and in the spring it can generally lead to the shock of a shrub if it is watered in the heat of the day. It is best for watering the grapes to defend and warm the water under the sun in a barrel.
- It is not recommended to water grapes more than once a week! This can lead to the development of root rot.
- The time for watering is usually in the morning or evening. Watering during the day, even in spring, is not worth it.
- Watering is worth buckets directly into the soil. Conduct watering from a hose is not worth it. It hurts and leaves and clusters.