Of the many varieties and hybrids of cabbage Megaton F1 stands out for its disease resistance. This is a unique variety bred by Dutch breeders for growing in large and small farms, for personal use and for sale. Cabbage Megaton F1 has a high yield, good immune system, the presentation of the heads.
Description cabbage Megaton F1
Hybrid is a mid-late species. Ripening occurs only at 138-168 days after germination. In the southern regions, you can collect the first heads of cabbage as early as 102 days after the emergence of shoots. Productivity is high.
Heads of flat, almost round, flattened from above. Weight from 5 to 15 kg, depending on the care and conditions. The leaves are large, rounded, white inside, and outside green with a gray tinge, there is bloom, wavy lines along the edge. When fully matured, the cabbage stalk is small, shortened.
The leaves are large, rounded, white inside, and outside green with a gray tinge, there is bloom, wavy lines along the edge
Cabbage Megaton F1 is very healthy and tasty. This hybrid has juicy, fragrant leaves. The product contains 7.9-8.7% of dry substances, up to 5% of sugars, up to 3% of protein. 100 g of the product 43.6 mg of vitamin C.
What are the advantages of Megaton F1?Read also these articles.
- How to collect tomato seeds
- Przewalski's horse
- Grape Press
- How to water the orchid
Cabbage Megaton F1 according to the statement of Dutch breeders is almost perfect. What are its dignity?
- Productivity is high. Each year, you can collect from 586-934 c / ha. But high yields can be waited only with good care.
- Due to the high yield and excellent marketability of heads, they can be grown for sale. Sales of products will not be difficult, as buyers for this cabbage are always fast.
- As a rule, cabbage Megaton F1 gives a very large, developed heads of cabbage. Reviews of gardeners say that on average heads weigh 10 kg. And only in rare cases, with insufficient care or a small amount of nutrients, the weight does not reach 6 kg.
- Kocheryga small, even if the head reaches a mass of 15 kg.
- The taste of the crop is excellent. Cabbage is valued for juiciness, sugar content, tenderness after aging in storage.
- Frost resistance. The hybrid withstands severe cooling, slight frost.
- There is resistance to fusarium wilt, keel, gray rot.
As a rule, cabbage Megaton F1 gives very large, developed cabbages
Disadvantages of a hybrid
Despite the large number of advantages, disadvantages cabbage Megaton F1 is not devoid.
- Moisture reacts badly. If the humidity is high, or the amount of watering is too large, the cabbages will crack. And in a drought, the plant stops growing.
- Period of storage no more than 3 months. Some gardeners complain that the cabbage begins to rot after the first month of storage.
- Like late species, this hybrid needs ripening after harvest. Only after the first month from the date of collection can it be fully used for food, since the leaves can be harsh right away.
- Cabbage begins to rot from the inside, so it is difficult to understand which heads should be spent first.
- If there is little watering, or the soil is poorly fertilized, the size of the heads will be small, up to 6 kg, or even up to 3 kg.
How to plant cabbage?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Raspberry variety Glen Fine
- Peach Curl
- Proper care of cucumbers in the greenhouse
- What to feed the lambs
The main condition for a good harvest varieties of cabbage Megaton F1 is the moderation of climate. Strong heat or abundance of precipitation, can lead to a decrease in yield or deterioration of its quality. Place for landing should be sunny. The abundance of light cabbage loves, and grows slowly in the shade.
The seedling method of planting gives an earlier harvest.
Sowing time should fall on days when there is no strong night frost. And if the seedlings are planted, and not the seeds, then the night frosts should not harm it, as the variety is frost resistant. The main thing is that at night the temperature does not fall below zero. If such a threat exists, it is worth equipping a small greenhouse for planting.
Cabbage Megaton F1 is grown by two methods.
- When sowing seeds, they are heated for 30 minutes in warm water (up to 50 degrees), then cooled in cool water for the same amount of time. After all this, you need to treat them with Epin and sow into the ground, and then cover the planting with a film (to sprout faster). You can sow either with a rare jib (the distance between the seedlings is 5 cm), and then sit down when you grow up, or immediately into individual wells according to the 60x40 cm scheme. The seed embedding depth is 1-1.5 cm. You can sow the seeds into the ground only if that the soil warmed up to + 4 ... +10 degrees.
- The seedling method gives an earlier harvest. Seedlings harvested from the beginning of March. It is sown in large boxes at a distance of 5 cm from each other. Transplantation to a permanent place is carried out after the seedling has 3 full leaves, it is about 1.5-2 months. Landing scheme 60x40 cm.
How to care for cabbage Megaton F1?
To grow Megaton F1 cabbage quickly, she needs complete care.
To grow Megaton F1 cabbage quickly, she needs complete care.
- Watering is needed moderate. This variety is acutely responsive to excess water or its lack. Before the formation of the head, watering is carried out 2-3 times a week, and after the start of formation, it is 2 times less often, so that the cabbages do not crack.
- Loosening of the soil is carried out at least once a week, but it is better every time after watering.
- Weeds are pulled out as they appear and are carried outside the site.
- Pest treatment is rarely needed. Usually a variety withstands attacks of pests, and rarely gets sick. But if the problem begins to grow, or there is a direct threat to the heads, you should use the appropriate insecticides and fungicides.
- Top dressings are brought 2 times for all development of a plant. The first is needed in 2-3 weeks after planting the plant in a permanent place. When watering, add 5 g / m. sq. carbamide, double superphosphate, potassium sulfate. Approximately in the beginning of July they spend the second feeding. 2 g of urea and 8-10 g of potassium nitrate are taken per square meter of land.
How to store cabbage varieties Megaton F1?
Megaton F1 cabbage is used after the first month, as the harvest was harvested
Crop begin to collect when the night temperature drops below -2 degrees Celsius. If it is longer to keep the crop in the garden, it will be poorly stored. After harvesting, cabbage is determined to be stored. She lies in good conditions for up to 3 months. The best storage conditions are + 2 ... +5 degrees and humidity 90-98%. Indoor ventilation must be provided.
Megaton F1 cabbage is used after the first month, as the crop was harvested. For the month that she will lie down outside the site, the leaves become tender, the cabbages are squeezed out of juice, they become sweeter.
To facilitate the storage of cabbage will help its processing. This hybrid is very well suited for fermentation. It can also be put in winter salads under the twist. Delicious with cabbage Megaton F1 get fresh salads, first, second courses. However, in the first 1-2 months after harvest, the cabbage leaves will be coarse. To use it not for pickling or preservation, but for fresh dishes is possible only after soaking.