Radish is one of the first spring root crops. They can enjoy it from the end of spring, and sometimes from the beginning of May. However, not all are able to grow radish, and this is not surprising, because it is necessary to sow it in a certain land, in a certain place. In addition, the earth and seeds need to be thoroughly prepared. Planting radish in detail and with useful recommendations will be listed below in the article.
When to sow radishes?
Common to all, simple varieties of radish need a fairly short light day - 12 hours. If there is more light, they will quickly release the arrow, so the radish is planted early, before the daylight begins to increase.
At the same time, if the day is too short, the root crop will not be able to develop normally. So you need to look for a middle ground. In each region, it falls on a certain time. If we talk about medium-sized areas, then April is suitable if the landing is carried out in spring or early August - if, at the end of the season.
Where can I plant radishes?Read also these articles.
- The technology of growing winter wheat
- Green Tomatoes with Garlic
- Description varieties of garlic Komsomolets
- How much milk to give a calf
Suitable soil - sandy, loamy, that is easy
The place for planting radish is the second thing to be taken care of, and this is done about 1-2 months before you need to sow.
- The site should be bright - sunny. If there is a constant shadow, there is a great chance that the tops will stretch a lot and the root crop will not be able to develop properly.
- Suitable soil - sandy, loamy, that is light. If the land is not loose enough, it is worth adding peat or river sand to it. In the dense earth at root crops cracks can appear.
- Low acidity of the soil is preferred. This indicator is easy to settle - add lime.
- The moderate humidity of the earth is what you need. The swampy area is not for radish, the root crop simply cannot grow, will rot and there will be no harvest. Plus, there are a lot of pests in such places.
- Good forerunners are sweet and hot peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, onions.
How to prepare the soil?
Land preparation for planting radishes begins in the fall, if you need to plant a crop in the spring or 2 months if planting is carried out in August. They dig up the earth, adding the right amount of decomposed compost, potassium salt, superphosphate or similar substances. In winter, the land can be left just perekopannoy.
Attention! Fresh manure under the radish is not brought! Fertilizer beds for this crop can be carried out with humus, compost or mineral tukam, but not with fresh manure or droppings of any birds.
Just before planting, you should begin to engage in leveling the land. This is done by a large, comfortable rake. It is important to take care that there are no large lumps on the plot - a loose structure, this is what is needed for the normal development of radish.
How to prepare the seeds before planting radish?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Potato variety Zest
- Wax moth (Ognevka bee)
- Raspberry Grade Polka
- Geranium Flower
Before planting in 1-2 weeks the seeds are sorted
For planting radish you need to buy good seeds. Before landing in 1-2 weeks they are sorted. Only full-fledged, large ones are left for sowing. After the seeds are selected, it is worth making a weak saline solution of water, lowering all the seeds there and those that come up to remove and discard - they are empty or damaged, there will be no sense from them.
As for processing by different means, radishes are not needed, it germinates well without that. But if you wish, you can use the infusion of ash or a weak solution of potassium permanganate. They will saturate the seeds with the necessary substances and will not harm them. In such substances, seeds are kept for up to 30 minutes, then dried and sown.
Planting radish in open ground
Planting radishes is carried out as soon as the seeds and the bed are ready. For this, a ridge of the required length is made to a depth of 1 cm. 15 cm of free space is left between the rows. Now you need to pour it with water and wait until it is absorbed. After that, the seeds are simply sown with a rare jib and slightly prune by the ground.
Over time, it will be possible to thin
The method of sowing described above is very popular, simple and almost all gardeners use it, but there is another, more effective method according to which it is not recommended to thicken the crops. Yes, over time, it will be possible to thin them, but it is believed that this can lead to an arrow in sprouts, and neighboring root crops can be damaged during thinning, therefore it is worth initially to sow radish seeds initially. Each seed is laid at a distance of 2-4 cm from the other. The seeding depth is 1 cm. After sowing, the seeds are ground with earth and they press the earth a little with their hands.
What are the features of planting radish in the greenhouse?
Planting radishes in a greenhouse should be the same as in open ground: the soil is prepared, as well as seeds, planting is carried out according to the same scheme. But there are several features.
- There is less light in greenhouses, so you need to install lamps. And provide the radish with a 12-hour light day.
- Since it is easier to regulate temperature and light in greenhouses, it can be planted at any time of the year, even in winter.
Planting radishes in the greenhouse should be the same as in the open ground
- Planting radish in greenhouses is usually carried out in the main greenhouse soil - quality, fertilized, with low acidity. But it is very important to process it with potassium permanganate before sowing in order to destroy most of the pests and diseases.
- The temperature must be monitored all the time. The radish does not tolerate heat and immediately releases the arrow. Acceptable temperature + 18 ... +20 degrees.
- The greenhouse should be ventilated at least 2 times a day. Fresh air is as important for culture as the 12-hour light day.
That's all science. In fact, if you get a handle, planting radishes in a greenhouse will be much easier than in open ground, as the agrarian is under the microclimate control, but at first it will be unusual and difficult to adjust, because radishes in the greenhouse require much more attention.
How to care for radishes?
Leaving is the penultimate stage of growing radish, if you also include harvesting here. There is no great work here, but the slightest mistakes can lead to bolting and spoilage of root crops, therefore it is necessary to approach this issue with responsibility.
- If after planting a radish, cold weather is established on the street, it is worth covering the bed with white agrofibre or a thick transparent film. These materials will protect the radish from the cold, let the light through to it, create a mini-teplichku where shoots appear a few days earlier, despite the weather conditions.
- 5-6 days after sowing the seeds, thinning may be required (if the sowing was done in a single file).
It is advisable to always maintain one level of humidity in the ground.
- So that the radish does not begin to crack, and this is possible even if the variety is not prone to cracking, it is worth watering the bed in time. Root crops can be damaged by constant moisture surges, so it is advisable to maintain one level of humidity in the ground all the time. It is not difficult, you just need to irrigate often and little by little.
- From time to time it is worth sprinkling the beds where the radish was planted with tree ash. If there are any large pieces in the ashes, they are ground to form a dusty mass. I use it for processing the site. Ash not only fertilizes the earth, feeds it with microelements, but also protects the plant from cruciferous flea and other pests.
- Radishes can be fed with nitrogen fertilizers, but only in the first half of the development of the plant. When the ripening of the root begins, fertilizing should stop.
Harvesting is usually done selectively, because radishes rarely ripen amicable composition. The radish ready for harvesting is easy to distinguish - the root crop will look out of the ground a little, it will have a natural color for the variety, a dense texture when pressed. It is these roots that need to be cleaned - they are pulled by the tops and they themselves, without any problems, "get out" of the ground, if it is loose, as it should be.
The radish should be stored in the refrigerator, in the refrigerator, in the cool cellar, but it is better to eat immediately, because it is the young, fresh fruits that are the most delicious, juicy and healthy.
For planting radish is better to use local varieties.
Planting radish is not a difficult process, but requires precision and attention. Below are tips on how to ensure yourself a good harvest of radish, how to make sure that the arrow does not appear, so that the fruits are whole, beautiful, without damage.
- If a gardener often weeds radishes, loosens the ground between the rows, this can provoke an arrow. Therefore, it is recommended to plant the crop in a light soil to minimize weeding.
- In the case when the radish is planted in early summer or in July, you can balance the light day with a simple black film. She covers the plants at 7 o'clock in the evening and open at about 8-9 o'clock in the morning. In this case, the 12-hour light day will be observed and the chance of normal development of the turnip will increase.
- Along with wood ash from pests use tobacco dust.
- Hybrid and unusual varieties may have features of sowing. They are usually written on the packaging, so that before buying seeds or sowing, you should carefully study the instructions on the package.
- For planting radish it is better to use local varieties - they take root faster and give excellent yields, but foreign ones may not grow in a new climate for them.