Each type of rabbits has features that make them stand out among their furry counterparts. Rabbits of breed Flandr not an exception. The characteristics, breeding, maintenance and feeding will be discussed in this article.
Characteristics breed Flandr
In animal husbandry, this breed is very popular. She is bred not only to get skins or meat, but also as a rather large pet. Crawls are massive, with several inherent traits.
Male and female of breed Flandr. Breed exterior
- The mass of an adult animal can reach 8-10 kg. Female Flandre breeds are always slightly smaller than males, they can weigh 7 kg.
- The backbone is strong, the tail is very hard, raised up.
- Square or almost square head has a large size. They have a well discernable crooked nose (as viewed in profile), the frontal part. The eyes are large, brown.
- Big ears up to 19 cm. Representatives of the species have very long and wide ears that are not drooping, but sometimes one ear can fall down to the ground, while it does not bend like in loose breeds, but simply falls horizontally.
- Large paws covered with fur immediately attract attention. They are strong, so with an animal you should not lose vigilance. The crawl never attacks, but can wriggle out of its hands, hurting its limbs.
- The color is usually agouti (light and dark brown mixed with white inserts on the chest and on the tip of the tail). Less common are white, black, gray and even red.
- Because of the large bones, ears, and thick skin, when slaughtering, the output of meat is obtained within 50% of the body weight of the animal, and sometimes even less.
- Fur crawl Flandre is very soft, thick, it can be sold at a high price, the main thing is to find a point of sale.
- For slaughter are animals that have reached the age of 7-9 months.
- The nature of the breed Flandre is very good, can get along with large animals in the same area (dogs, cats, cattle), birds. Even little kids won't scare them.
What are the difficulties of content?Read also these articles.
- Grape variety Augustine
- Yellow Tomato Varieties
- The best varieties of radish for the greenhouse
- What to feed geese in winter and summer
It is easiest to keep the breed of Flandre rabbits in cell-racks. The method is very simple: the cells are located by the wall, setting one on top of each other. Due to this, it is possible not only to save space, but also to separate different individuals from each other (young animals from mothers, females from males, and so on).
It is easiest to keep the breed of Flandre rabbits in cell-racks
The size of each such "room" must correspond to the size of the animals living in them and their number. One adult needs a cage of 110x70 cm and 50 cm in height. For a female with bunnies, double the space is needed. The type of cages is selected individually - what kind of breeder can afford.
Nothing can be laid on the floor when kept in cages, but only if the floor is wooden! When breeding animals in a rabbitks without cages, it is important to take care that there is no "secret passage" from the room, otherwise the animals will quickly run away. Exit should be only one (lockable) for walking. The floor is made of wood, concrete, a layer of straw is laid on it so that the animal is not cold.
No matter how the Flandr's rabbits are kept, windows, an adjusted ventilation system, and sometimes heating are necessary. Walking is possible and desirable to equip - even in large cages and pens individuals will be closely. Fresh air and vitamin D are just as necessary for them as they are for humans.
One of the weighty difficulties are the diseases inherent in the mind.
- Due to their high weight, Flandre rabbits may have corns on paw pads (corns or something like that). The problem is treated with a cream or ointment, which can be purchased at a veterinary store.
- Ear tick - is treated with a solution of sunflower, camphor oil mixed with tar. The resulting becoming well mixed and buried in a sore ear. After 3 days the disease passes. However, if the tick has lodged deep in the ear and has managed to lay eggs, then after a while the procedure will have to be resumed, as the disease will return.
In order to avoid other, more serious problems, appropriate vaccinations should be given to animals from an early age.
Also, the coat of the animal can cause difficulties. So that it has a marketable appearance, it is necessary to take care of it: clean it in time, make sure that it does not lose its luster, color, does not fade, and so on. Sometimes the crawl has to be bathed or combed, but only in rare cases.
How to feed the rabbits?
Feeding Flandr rabbits
The basis of the diet is hay, cereals, vegetables, greens. The greens they usually eat on the run, but other than that they need to put dried grass in the cells. Vegetables are crumbled or given entirely: carrots, beet, potatoes - this is what rodents love. Grain mixtures can be purchased at the store or mix yourself. Hay is put in plenty, it should always be in a cage! Bonemeal and chalk are added to food or poured separately, because Flandre rock needs a lot of calcium, otherwise rickets can develop.
In winter, adult individuals and young animals can be given fir branches instead of greenery, adding grass meal to the feed.
Water changes 1-3 times a day (depending on the size of the animal, their quantity per 1 drinker and the time of year). In winter, they drink less frequently, in summer, respectively, more often. It is simpler and more convenient to use nipple drinkers, the water in them is not polluted, and it is convenient for the rabbits to drink. Plus, in this drinker you can mix any vitamins.
How to breed Flandr?We recommend reading our other articles.
- How to increase egg production in chickens
- The best varieties of lettuce
- How to plant cabbage on seedlings
- When to plant squash for seedlings
The female brings an average of 8 rabbits per okrol. Very caring mothers
For mating is to take animals that meet the standards of the breed. They are determined in a large cell for a day. Rabbits of the breed Flandr, taken for mating, must be healthy, active, a week or two before mating they are fed with vitamins.
In the litter of rabbits an average of 8 rabbits. But the number can reach up to 11. At the same time, young mommies have a pronounced maternal instinct, they feed the young themselves, additional feeding is required in rare cases.
With young rabbits, youngsters are held for about 2 months, and then taken away and transferred to regular feed. At the same time, already from a month or even earlier it is possible to offer the rabbit simple food for rabbits, various mixtures, chopped grass, but this is not necessary only if there is time and desire.